Summary of Sunday School message from 5 September 2021
The Donkey was surprised
Taught by: Teacher Noppawan Chupan and team
Balak, son of Zippor, was surprised. Balak saw all that Israel had done to 5the Amorites, and Moab was terrified because there were so many people.
Indeed, Moab was filled with dread because of the Israelites. (Numbers 22:3-4) The Moabites said to the elders of Midian, "This horde is going to lick up
everything around us, as an ox licks up the grass of the fields." So Balak son of Zippor , who was king of Moab at that time,
(Numbers 22:5-6) sent messengers to summon Balaam son of Beor, who was at Pethor, near the Euphrates River, in his native land, and said:
"A people has come out of Egypt; they cover the face of the land and have settled next to me. He asked Balaam to come and put a curse on these people,
because they are too powerful for me. Perhaps then I will be able to defeat them and drive them out of the land. For I know that whoever you bless is blessed,
and whoever you cursed is cursed."
(Numbers 22:21-22, 27,28,29) Balaam got up in the morning, saddled his donkey and went with the Moabite officials. He was blinded by the rewards offered by Balak.
But God was very angry when he went, and the angel of the Lord stood in the road to oppose him. Balaam was riding on his donkey and his 2 servants were with him.
When the donkey saw the angel of the Lord, it lay down under Balaam, and he was angry as Balaam could not see anything. So Balaam started to beat the donkey
with his staff. Then the Lord opened the donkey`s mouth, and it said to Balaam, "What have I done to you to make you beat me these 3 times?"
Balaam answered the donkey, "You have made a fool of me! If only I had a sword in my hand, I will kill you right now."
Lessons to learn from this chapter:
1. Beating of the donkey because Balaam was embarrassed, as usually the donkey is obedient. Because the donkey lay down he was very angry.. Do not
take it out on someone/ something to cover our embarrassment or mistakes.
2. The donkey stopped for a total of 3 times once it saw the angel of the Lord with its sword. But Balaam did not see anything. Why didn`t he see anything?
This is because he is blind to the Spirit of God, as he was more interested in the silver and material things offered as reward, he forgot about God.
3. Balaam was reminded and warned by the donkey. A person that has to be warned by an animal (donkey) shows that he is below the animal as he
is only interested in the money and riches!
4. The angel of the Lord came to stop Balaam from putting a curse on the Israelites. Why? Because the Israelites are the the group of people that has been blessed
by God. (Numbers 22:12)
5. Balaam realizes his mistake and repent, and knows that the donkey has saved his life. (Numbers 22: 33,34) The donkey saved him 3 times when it saw the angel of
of the Lord.
6. Even the donkey, who is considered foolish, knows how to show faithfulness. It`s an animal that helps to carry and transport people and things, and also saved Balaam`s life.
7. Children, have you been doing good as children of the family? Such as being obedient, good to other people, study hard, help out with housework, listen to parents
and be good citizens.
8. Then the angel of the Lord let Balaam visit Balak. (Numbers 22:35) The angel of the Lord said to Balaam, "Go with the men, but speak only what I tell you."